Dopey Training Week 18 of 18 – runDisney Marathon Week

runDisney Marathon Week was upon us before we knew it.  The running plan was simple, 4 consecutive days, 5K, 10K, Half-Marathon, Marathon.   

Here is how my actual mileage compared to the plan for the week starting January 1, 2024:

 

Week 18

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

Total

Plan

Rest

Travel

Expo

3.1

6.2

13.1

26.2

48.6

Actual

Rest

Travel

Expo

3.1

6.2

7.1*

26.2

42.6

By Steps

4.0

9.0

8.5

11.5

12.0

14.0

33.0

92.0

 

The half marathon was shortened to 7.1 miles due to incoming storms with a chance of lightening.  I included my estimated total miles on foot, based on step count, because it is easy to underestimate the impact of being on your feet more than you realize when participating in an endurance event at a vacation destination.

 

Monday of Week 18 was New Year’s Day.  After our typical New Year’s morning, we scrambled in the afternoon to take down all our Christmas decorations.  We had no snow yet and temperatures outside were right around freezing.  I wanted to get all the outdoor decorations and lights inside before we left for Florida, before the cold and snow hit and froze everything into the ground.

 

Tuesday was travel day with an early morning flight that put us at our resort in Walt Disney World before noon.  Between travel, touring parks, and grocery shopping, I logged the equivalent of 9 miles on my feet.

 

Wednesday was the runDisney Expo. Between navigating the Expo to get bib numbers and shirts, more park touring and attending a team dinner at Give Kids the World Village, I logged another 8.5 miles on my feet.

 

Thursday was Day 1 of Marathon weekend.  After running the 5K, we went to a park for lunch and ended up walking quite a bit.  Between the extra walking to navigate the runDisney pre- and post-race rituals, the race itself, and our park exploration, I logged the equivalent of 11.5 miles on my feet.

 

On Friday, the day of the 10K, I took it much easier in the afternoon but still managed to log the equivalent of 12 miles on my feet.   Saturday was similar with 14 miles on my feet.   And Sunday, Marathon Day, I logged a total of 33 miles on my feet, but a few of those miles were in the evening, long after completing the marathon.

 

In all, I covered over 90 miles on my feet in week 18.  Almost twice as much as the Dopey Challenge itself.  And I felt it by marathon day.  The cumulative fatigue of being on my feet that much built up throughout the week.  Even though I thought I was resting and taking it easy, I was burning myself out.  Even with the easy day 3, the shortened half marathon,  I still felt the same on Marathon Day as I had for my long runs in my Dopey Simulations.

 

I feel like my times are irrelevant.  As I had stated in my post on January 1, 2024, my ultimate goal was simply to finish and still be able to enjoy Walt Disney World after the full marathon.  And that is what I did.   My marathon time was only 15 minutes off of my target, about 30 seconds per mile.  With 3 bathroom stops, two banana stops, and a few photo stops, I was not that far off my target.  I enjoyed the time out on the course, and I crossed the finish line. And most of all, I walked away from it without any damage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training Plan Update – Final 9 Weeks

runDisney 2024 Dopey Challenge Day 4 – Marathon

The End of The Long Road to Dopey