Dopey Training Week 17 of 18

Week 17.  The final week of training before runDisney Marathon Week.  Week 17 was the second week of taper with total of only 15 miles on the plan.  This week was more about letting the lingering aches and pains heal, getting those last strength training sessions in, and staying healthy.  Oh, and deciding what running gear to take to Florida and figuring out how to pack it all up.

Here is how my actual mileage compared to the plan for the week starting December 25:

Week 17

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

Total

Plan

Rest

4

Rest

3

Rest

8

Rest

15

Actual

Rest

4.2

Strength

3.2

Strength

8.1

Rest

15.5

As has been typical for me over the years, the last taper week felt sluggish and achy.  The 4 miles on Tuesday was much harder than it should have been.  But I think that is just the effect of cutting back weekly mileage from 45 to 15 miles, along with working out the lingering fatigue and soreness. Experience had taught me not to panic, I will be rested and ready to go on January 4.

 

I ran faster and felt better for the 3-miler on Thursday.  For my last training run on Saturday, I decided not to take any chances in the below freezing morning temperatures and headed to Planet Fitness to run on a treadmill for the 8-miler.  I set the treadmill to just under 11:00 /mi and varied the incline a little throughout the run.  My goal was to lock in the feel of the pace I should run the 5K so I do not burn myself out on Day 1 of the Dopey Challenge.

 

With that, training is done!  Week 18 is the Dopey Challenge itself.  Time to try to rest and relax while experiencing all the normal stresses of preparing for travel and traveling itself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training Plan Update – Final 9 Weeks

runDisney 2024 Dopey Challenge Day 4 – Marathon

The End of The Long Road to Dopey