Dopey Training Week 8 of 18

Week 8 started out great with a 7-mile run and a 5K run, both at a pace around 9:30 min/mile, which is a little faster than I had been running my shorter runs.  For the second mile of the 5K, I ran a Galloway Magic Mile in 9:02, 20 seconds faster than my previous one.  That brings my estimated marathon pace, according to Jeff Galloway’s estimation method, down to 12:39 min/mile, a 5:30:00 marathon.  That seemed like a very conservative estimate, until I tried to complete my 20 miler.

 

The end of the week called for back-to-back runs of 10 and 20 miles.  I ran the 10-miler on Friday with a friend, using a 3:30/1:30 run/walk cadence.  I think I ran the running segments too fast again, as I was sore and fatigued later in the day.

 

Saturday was the first cold morning of the late fall season.  It was 35°F when I set foot outside. I had to layer up, including hat and gloves.  I set out to run/walk at a 3/2-minute ratio, but shortened my walk periods if my heart rate dropped below 100 BPM.  In the last 3-4 miles I had to switch to 1/1-minute run/walk because of fatigue, soreness and elevated heart rate.

 

My overall average pace for 20 miles was 12:32 min/mile.  Galloway’s Magic Mile prediction was 12:39, pretty darn close as much as don’t want to accept Galloway’s prediction.  As I write this, I am wondering if I would get through these long runs easier if I just accepted that 12:30 was my target pace and ran that from the beginning.

 

Here is how my actual mileage compared to the revised plan (I continued to be one week ahead of plan) for the week starting October 23: 

Week 8

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

Total

Plan

5

Rest

5

Rest

10

20

Rest

40

Actual

7.2

Strength

3.1

Rest

10.2

20.2

Rest

40.7

I covered 40.7 miles at an average pace of 11:30 min/mile.  I’ve experienced notable discomfort in my right hip, but the discomfort is in the 24 hours after a run.  After warming up and stretching, the discomfort in my hip is not inhibiting.  The discomfort I’ve been feeling in my knees has been similar.  

 

Keeping my heart rate in a safe zone keeps me from running faster. On long runs I get to a point where my heart rate stays elevated, and even walking for a minute or two does not bring it down below 100 BPM.  I foresee that during the Disney Marathon, I will get to a point where I will have to walk the rest of the way.  Hopefully that point is 18-20 miles into it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training Plan Update – Final 9 Weeks

runDisney 2024 Dopey Challenge Day 4 – Marathon

The End of The Long Road to Dopey