Dopey Training Week 6 of 18

Week 6 presented a challenge, running consecutive runs of 8 and 18 miles.  Both runs are significant distances, pacing for the 8-mile run would be crucial to having enough left to get through the 18-mile run.   

Here is how my actual milage compared to the revised plan (I continued to be one week ahead of plan) for the week starting October 8: 

Week 6

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

Total

Plan

5

Rest

5

Rest

8

18

Rest

36

Actual

6.5

Strength

4.2

Rest

Rest

8.1

18.2

37 

I felt good on Monday and extended Monday’s run to 10K, much like in week 5. I also let my HR push a little higher during Monday’s run and ended up doing a Galloway Magic Mile in the middle of it. My Magic mile pace was 9:20 which, by Galloway’s estimation method, puts me at a 13:04 pace for the marathon.  

 

We had endless rains toward the end of the week, starting late Thursday afternoon and continuing through mid-morning on Saturday.  I postponed my 8 and 18 mile runs by one day.  I ran the 8-miler late morning on Saturday, just after the rain finally stopped.  I ran with a friend and struggled a bit to maintain my slower pacing, although I did maintain my 4/1 run/walk intervals.  The result is that I ended up uncomfortably sore, my right hip ached all Saturday afternoon.  It was concerning considering I needed to go out and cover 18 the next morning.

 

I woke Sunday with manageable hip discomfort and headed out for an 18-mile adventure. I settled in quickly with a Run/Walk cadence of 4/1 minutes.  The first few miles went by quickly, but my watch never found my HR, which meant I had to run by feel, constantly assessing my effort and wondering if I was pushing it too hard.  After 10 miles I switched to a 3/2 ratio.  I felt like my HR was getting too high and my legs were starting to feel fatigued.  I maintained the 3/2 ratio for the last 8 miles.  

 

I did not have much left after 8 and 18 miles on consecutive days.  As much as I do not want to accept it, I think I need to dial back the pace even more, perhaps a smaller walk/run ratio from the start.  

 

My total mileage for Week 6 was 37 miles at an average pace of 11:08 per mile.  My average pace of 12:06 per mile for the 18-miler impacted my average for the week.  Hip discomfort remains manageable, though post long runs I experience significant discomfort. My knees were not cause for concern this week.  I am looking forward to the upcoming recovery week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training Plan Update – Final 9 Weeks

runDisney 2024 Dopey Challenge Day 4 – Marathon

The End of The Long Road to Dopey