Training Update 18-July-2023

Since returning from our road trip, I have struggled to get back up to the mileage I was doing before the trip. I had some issues with my hip, and then some issues with irregular heart rate.  I have been taking each day as it comes, not knowing when I wake in the morning if I will be able to run. 

That being said, I have tried to keep moving.  On days I cannot run, I walk instead. On days where I wake to the possibility of running, I focused on long and slow distance over speed.  By doing that, I have been able to get my “distance on feet”, including walking and hiking, in the 25-30 miles per week range.  
 
I have been taking another look at my overall Dopey Training Plan.  It is late July, and the Galloway Plan is into week 4 already.  The Higdon Plan is still over a month away from week 1 but starts off with a 13 mile long run and 27 total miles in the first week.  I am still in the range to jump into either of those plans.  Though now I am thinking that the Galloway Plan, with Jeff’s emphasis on walking breaks, may be more my speed.  I am starting to concede that I am in this Dopey Challenge just to finish and beat the Balloon Ladies.  My training strategy is shifting from “run as much as I can” to spending more time on long walks and run/walks.
 
Mental and strategic shift aside, I still have two events remaining this summer:  a 10-mile race at the end of July, and a half-marathon at the end of August.  I am still targeting those events, just dialing back expectations for how fast I will run them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training Plan Update – Final 9 Weeks

runDisney 2024 Dopey Challenge Day 4 – Marathon

The End of The Long Road to Dopey