Dopey Training Week 1 of 18

I am officially in Week 1 of Training for the Dopey Challenge!  Because last week ended with a 22-miler, this week was intentionally a light recovery week.  I was still feeling the effects of the 22-miler on Monday.  By Tuesday the pain in my knees had subsided to a point I felt comfortable running,  but Tuesday’s run was sluggish and slow.  Thursday’s run felt more normal to the point that I was already looking forward to Saturday’s long run shortly after finishing Thursday’s run.  So much so that I started thinking about running with the Badgerland Striders for their 16-mile marathon buildup run, instead of just doing 10 on my own per plan.

I woke up early Saturday morning, thought about trying to go back to sleep, then decided to get up and get ready to drive to the east side of Milwaukee to run with the Striders.  16 miles later, I was back in recovery mode.  

 

Here is how my actual milage compared to the plan for the week starting September 4: 

Week 1

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thurs

Fri

Sat

Sun

Total

Plan

Rest

5

Rest

5

Rest

10

Rest

20

Actual

Rest

5.5

Strength

5.5

Strength

16

Rest

27

 

The 16-miler was not as easy as I thought it would be.  I struggled to keep up with the small group I usually run with and had to drop back for the last three miles. But I averaged 10:34 miles, a little faster than my 22-miler a week earlier, and I felt much better after the 16-miler.

 

I overshot this week’s recovery mileage by 7 miles.  If I recover from the 16-mile run quickly, I may reconsider my plan for the next few weeks. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Training Plan Update – Final 9 Weeks

runDisney 2024 Dopey Challenge Day 4 – Marathon

The End of The Long Road to Dopey